Saturday, March 05, 2005

From the overflowing of the heart the mouth speaks

As I pondered on these words that Jesus spoke, I become more aware on how recent events have testified to the truth of His words.

Ian Lim came to me a few days back and told me I have made an error in assessing his test. This cost him a one mark reduction, and he lost the second place position in class. But he gained for himself my admiration. Integrity is fast becoming a scarce commodity these days, not with countless wannabes clamoring for the top spot anyway they can. It takes true courage for Ian to stand up for what is right and virtuous, even at a cost to himself. For that I am proud of him, and I record this event in my blog for posterity.

I caught Yu Sheng making trips to the staffroom to deliver the files to me on his own. He was perspiring profusely, but was in good spirit. Nevermind that he was alone with no one to lend a hand. When I questioned him on why nobody helped him, he simply shrugged it off, not wanting to win favour by betraying his friends.

It impressed me that he must be doing this day in and day out tirelessly, and many times I did not see the good he did to make my life easier as a teacher. Neither did he once trumpet the help he gave. I am grateful and I want Yu Sheng to know this, hence this record in my blog.

No comments: